Previous to the completion of the convent at the end of 1876, the Sisters had been teaching in the stables of Saint Michael’s presbytery, and when the numbers could no longer be accommodated there, in the church building of Saint Michael’s itself.
Once the convent was finished, two schools were inaugurated, one free, St Mary’s, and one fee paying, St. Brigid’s. This, as well as the teaching of music, was done as a means for the Sisters to be able to support themselves.
Since then, there have been seven schools on the site.
ST MARY’S SCHOOL 1877 – 1973
In 1877 St. Mary’s School was opened in the new Sacred Heart Presentation Convent.
It initially operated in the lower floor of the western wing of the convent.
In 1915 St Mary’s was moved into three classrooms beneath the newly built chapel.
In 1934 a new primary school was built in the grounds south of the chapel and became known as St. Mary’s Primary School. It closed in 1973. The building was then utilised by Trinity, Mount Erin and now Kildare.
ST BRIGID’S SCHOOL 1877 – 1892
St Brigid’s was established in 1877 and situated in the convent upstairs and directly above St. Mary’s School.
In 1890 St Brigid’s moved to the new Boarding School building at the eastern end of the convent.
In 1892 St Brigid’s was renamed St Eugene’s School.
ST AGNES’ KINDERGARTEN 1901 – 1934
St Agnes’ Kindergarten was built in 1901 to accommodate 40 children. It was located behind the western wing of the convent.
In 1934 St Agnes’ became part of the new St Mary’s Primary School.
ST EUGENE’S SCHOOL 1892 – 1937
St Eugene’s was opened in 1892 and situated on the ground floor of the new Boarding School.
In 1905 and 1908 Boarding School additions were built and St Eugene’s occupied the ground floors.
It existed as a primary and high school catering mainly for girls – and boys up to Year 2. It closed in 1937.
In 1938 St Eugene’s was renamed Mount Erin High School.
MOUNT ERIN HIGH SCHOOL 1938 – 2003
In 1938 the new Mount Erin High School building facing Edmondson Street was opened. It offered five years of secondary education to girls.
Below students Therese McAuley, Noeline Lavin and Anne Rava take music tuition in 1952
In 1962 a southern wing was built as secondary education extended to six years.
In 1972 a new library and science laboratories were built.
1968 – 2003 Mount Erin High School catered for girls in Years 7 – 10.
Many young ladies from Wagga Wagga and surrounds have been educated at Mount Erin High School. We have many historical photos of classes from days gone by. Some, such as the one below, have no year or names attached. Perhaps you can see yourself and your classmates in the photo below.
In 2003 Mount Erin High School combined with Trinity Senior High School and St Michael’s Regional High School to become Kildare Catholic College.
TRINITY SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL 1969 – 2003
In 1968 Trinity Senior High School was established in the south west corner of the Mt Erin site.
Trinity educated boys and girls in Years 11 and 12. Pupils previously at Mount Erin High School and St Michael’s Regional High School enrolled at Trinity to complete their senior secondary education.
In 2003 Trinity closed and became part of Kildare Catholic College.
KILDARE CATHOLIC COLLEGE 2004 –
In 2004 Kildare Catholic College opened. It was one of two co-educational schools established to cater for Catholic secondary education in Wagga Wagga, the other being Mater Dei Catholic College, located at Lake Albert.
Kildare took over buildings previously used by Mount Erin High School and Trinity Senior High School.
Kildare also offers boarding facilities for both boys and girls. These are located in the Mount Erin Boarding School.